Folly Beach Area
Living on the Edge – Folly Beach
Folly Beach is a beach town in every sense of the word. Known as the Edge of America, a title the local citizens are quite proud of, this island has more public park acreage and fewer big hotels and condos than any other residential oceanfront island in the Charleston area. There are large county parks on each end of the island with miles of beach combing in between.
Laid back may be the best way to describe Folly Beach. Eccentric, eclectic and relaxed non-conforming ambiance would be other accurate descriptions. If you are looking for gated communities with security guards and manicured golf courses, you will need to go to another island. On Folly Beach “No shirt, No shoes, No Problem” is a way of life. Folly has the best waves, the best nightlife and the best beach atmosphere along the low country coast.
Jimmy Buffett and Martina McBride made their video for their hit song “Trip Around the Sun” on Folly Beach for a good reason. Folly fits his lifestyle and his style of music.
“Yes I’ll make a resolution
That I’ll never make another one
Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun”
The fishing pier extends off center street, nine blocks from Folly Breeze. The pier is 25 ft. wide and extends 1,045 ft. into the Atlantic with a covered area at the end. There is a gift shop, restaurant and a tackle shop on the pier. Friday night dances on the pier in the summer are one of the special “Folly” things to do.
Other Folly Beach Attractions:
- Six miles of sandy beach for swimming, sunbathing, bike riding and shelling
- The finest surfing beach in the Charleston area, the Washout, is home to some of the best surfing on the east coast and host to annual surfing competitions
- East Erie Tennis Courts between 4th and 5th block are public and free
- Charleston Municipal Golf Course: 843.795.6517
- Oak Point Golf Course: 843.768.7030
- Shadowmoss Plantation Golf Course and Country Club: 1.800.338.4971